Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Finding a job for Baaskaa – part two: construction.

Day nine. Baaskaa’s second job interview.

We all liked Mr. Tugsbayar, but we were also curious what other options there were.

I always joke with Baaskaa about my speediness. At the beginning he was a bit intimidated, but now he just laughs about me. Not wasting time, we were on our way to the second job interview the following day.


Mr. Tugsbayar's secretary had handed us a list of needed documents, which is common procedure for every applicant in Mongolia. To be prepared, we gathered the documents the night before the second interview. Apart from the usual proof of address and such, he also had to write a personal statement, why he desired the job and a family history. Every time he's asked to do that, I feel for him. I always pretend it's not important, but it’s painful to see the blank piece of paper stating: family history unknown.

I had to go through the same in my childhood. My mother pretended not to know my father’s whereabouts. Every time I had to answer questions about my father or fill out a document (Germany offers plenty of opportunities, believe me!) I had to state “unknown”, until I was 26 and found out where he lived. So I am feeling with Baaskaa when he has to go through this process. Talking about your family history can be a very personal, private affair and should be respected as such.

The second job was for a construction company. Mongolia is going through a housing boom, due to their wast natural resources, which are harvested by the global community. His job within the company could have been anything from setting windows to plastering or painting walls, what ever the task of the day was. I wasn’t too thrilled about the lack of definition. His education as excavator driver would have been useless and therefore he could have gotten easily stuck in having an undefined position with no opportunity to move up.


But the director, Mrs. Tserenpurev, offered a good start-up salary and I could tell she liked Baaskaa. She was once again one of these wonderful Mongolians who try to help when ever they see an opportunity. By the time we said good-bye, Baaskaa had landed his second job. The only problem now was to decide which job he wanted to take.

But then the phone rang……

No comments:

Post a Comment