Thursday, August 4, 2011

Leaving Baaskaa behind

That’s it, we have reached the end of our journey. We spent our last night packing and cleaning up. As usual, my luggage shrank and contains now mostly folded duffle bags and felt slippers, thank-you gifts for donors. What was our home got retransformed into an anonymous, public space.

Our plane leaves in the early morning hours. I had envisioned one last breakfast, just Baaskaa and me, but Ayuraa and Khosoo come to pick us up unexpectedly early, when Baaskaa is still asleep. All I can do is to wake him up and tell him to come down for the final good-bye.

The night is moonless and cold and only one sad bulb illuminates the courtyard, casting a green light. This is where we’ll have to part.

While the last suitcases are being pushed into the car, I pull Baaskaa aside, and immediately all action stops. Everyone stares at us, waiting for what will happen next. (Baaskaa is proud that he never cries when I leave but I know this time he’ll struggle. I always cry, I don’t even try to hide it anymore!)

Under the stare of everyone I don’t know what to say, other then the usual “Be careful, stay strong, write me, call Selenge when you need something, don’t go with strangers, etc”, and I hug him tight. Every time I have to leave him behind, I need to hug him a bit longer.

Then everything becomes a movie. I am in the car, the car drives off, out of the back window, I see Baaskaa become smaller and smaller in the distance, roving in circles, a tense lion measuring his cage. Then we make a right turn and I loose sight of him.

I would give a lot, A LOT, for never having to say good-bye to him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment