Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Neutral Milk Hotel’s Jeff Mangum extend his solo tour summer 2011.

RollingStone.com 6/11/2011

Jeff Mangum Adds More Solo Dates

Neutral Milk Hotel's songwriter Jeff Mangum has added five dates to his upcoming solo tour. In addition to a string of sold out shows announced earlier this year, the reclusive singer will also play at the First Unitarian Church in Burlington, Vermont on August 8th, Cabaret du Mile-End in Montreal on August 10th, the Academy of Music Theater in Northhampton, Massachusetts on September 7th and 2640 Space at St. John's Church in Baltimore, Maryland on September 26th and 27th. $1 per each ticket for these shows will go to the Children of the Blue Sky charity. [Press release]


I am truly touched by Jeff’s generosity.

This isn't the first time. When I started my project in Mongolia in 2008, I approached friends and colleagues for support and donations, something I could never imagine myself doing! Me asking for help and money – impossible!

To my surprise I got immediate and generous responses even while we were in the middle of a recession.

Astra Taylor and Jeff Mangum had the great idea to organize an art auction. They contacted their musician and filmmaker friends and asked them to donate their work for the charity auction. We got signed CDs, posters, t-shirts with beautiful and funky drawings (many of them by Jeff), books, a Dwight Schrute Bobblehead from the man himself and many more items. The revenues of the auction enabled me to go to Mongolia and set up two kids in 2009.

And now he's at it again. One dollar of every ticket is very generous. I assume musicians like him, who stay true to their music, won’t make millions at the box office, so Jeff’s support is really special to me.

I am pretty sure his ticket sales will allow me to put my three kids through school this summer, so two of them can get their middle school diplomas. This is HUGE for kids who have had little, if any, schooling at all.

Thank you Jeff!

No comments:

Post a Comment