Friday, September 2, 2011

On The Way to Gobi

The emergency that brought me back here was caused by Nasa, but by the time I managed to free my schedule, it was almost 1st of September, the official start day for all schools in Mongolia.

Nasa will have to wait until Vannie’s new life is settled.

Upon my arrival on Friday night and still at the airport, Khosoo surprised me with good news and a plan. He had found a vocational school that would accept Vannie, even so he lacks the requirements. The school is located in Gobi, the new center of economical development in the deep south of Mongolia.

I always wanted to go to Gobi, that magical place so far away and untouched. I didn’t expected to go there by bus though, more like a flying carpet, or a modern airplane?! But money is always tight, and if the Mongolians can do it, I can do it too!

Besides, half the time I am not making these decisions, but they are made for me. I was granted one day of rest – which wasn’t really a rest, since I went to the countryside to pick up Vannie. Vannie listened carefully when we mapped out the next two-and-a-half years of his life and agreed without a moment of hesistation. His excitement, even so he didn't show much of it, was motivating.

The next day in the early am, Khosoo’s son Temuulen, Vannie and I climbed into that rattling Russian mini bus for a 16 hour drive to Gobi. I accepted the baby that someone deposited into my lab, in addition to the oversized bag of who knows who’s, and off we went.

You think it’s not possible, but it is. And then there are these moments, that made it all worth it, if not magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment