Friday, December 7, 2012

Another trip to Mongolia.

-->

Although I had been in Mongolia three times this year, I wanted to return before Baaskaa's work season ends, because I was worried he'd have another rough winter.
However, I was wrong, he had figured it out. When his out of town job ended in mid November, he and two of his close friends returned to the city, rented a room and found work on another construction site.
Last winter Baaskaa and I had discussed his housing option and when I suggested to rent a room with his friends, he told me that it’s not done. Young people don’t live on their own; they live with their families or relatives. He did keep asking questions though, how much it would cost per month and where one could find such a room, to which I could only give vague answers. Now, eight month later, he did exactly that; he and two of his closed friends had managed to find a place so they could share costs and responsibilities.
It is fulfilling to see results of my efforts, but once again, it became clear that all he needs is some inspiration and knowledge. His past has conditioned him to believe that things we take for granted are out of reach for him. It has become my main effort is to teach him to overcome these old belief systems and habits.
Exactly that is my mission now. I want to bring him temporarily to the US, so he can learn English, which in return will enhance his chances to get a good job next spring. I also want him to experience New York’s melting pot and witness how people use their imagination and wits to create a life for themselves.
That said, our chances to get a visa are not great. Temporary visitor are seen as potential immigrant, so it’s up to him to proof that he will return and not become a burden to the American taxpayer. The way to do that is to provide proof of social ties, which of course, as a 20-year old orphan, he can’t. He’d need a family, a steady job and assets to qualify as a visitor. Although I understand the policies of it all, it irritates me that he is repeatedly punished for something that is out of his control.
To make up for it, I have gathered numerous supporting documents, tax returns, bank statements and letters of support from American friends who worked in UB and got to know him. I even cut together a short “character reel” to show Baaskaa’s sincerity and connection to his homeland. I have chosen an ESL program for him and rearranged my studio apartment so I can accommodate another bed. I am putting it out there!
We will apply for a visa as soon as I arrive, but it mainly dependents on the interview which will happen in a couple of weeks.
So please, I can use as many crossed fingers as I can get and it’s never too early to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment