Monday, November 5, 2012

A Week After Sandy


Things are almost back to normal, at least for some of us. Except the empty shelves in delis and supermarkets.

What an experience. I was always afraid of water and wind, two incredible forces. Nevertheless,  I have to admit I didn’t take the storm that serious, at first. I quickly changed my mind when I went to the East River during the day, hours before Sandy hit. It was quite humbling how wrong I was.


Thank goodness, I have practiced life without essentials in Mongolia! When in the countryside, I live without power, hot water, heater or fridge. But then again, if you have to do that at home, the novelty of the adventure wears off quickly.


If I have to life through another crisis, I want to do so in the East Village. I love my neighborhood. Everyone pulls together. Restaurants cooked their perishables on the sidewalk and portable grills came out for potluck diners. When it got dark, bars opened their doors and sold warm beer under candlelight. I never felt unsafe, not even when I had to walk the dog at night, and all I could see were dark shapes moving towards me, waving around blinding flashlights.  


It was strange to look up and see a dark sky, while a white cloud of light hovered above uptown. During a cloudless night, we got to see the stars and the full mood lit up the streets, like I had never experienced before. The glass was half full, at least some times.


I am glad life is back to normal, while I have a new appreciation for comfort.




No comments:

Post a Comment