Monday, November 26, 2012

New Update: After 15 years of unanswered questions, Vannie meets his mother.

Here is the long anticipated story of Vannie’s reunion with his mother. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, at the age of two, Vannie was left behind in an orphanage and subsequently spent the following 12 years in various institutions. He had no recollection of his parents or relatives. 

Through entirely unrelated and unforeseen events, we found a link to his past and located his mother.

Last August I went back to Mongolia to help facilitate the reunion and to be Vannie’s backup.

Although the entire trip was focused around Vannie, I also saw Nasa briefly, who was a bit thrown by the excitement; and reminded of her own past. Her mom died when she was five-years old and shortly after she was separated from her siblings.

Baaskaa had planned to be in UB for my visit, but by the time I arrived he had found a job close to the Russian border. We talked a lot on the phone, but at the end I couldn’t bear not to see him, so Vannie and I embarked on a rather grueling eight-hour trip (one way) up north.

It ill be seen how the relationship between son and mother will develop. Speaking from my own experience, I think it will depend a lot on the mother’s actions and how much she will engage and invest in getting to know her son. Vannie is not the outgoing fighter type, and although he doesn’t seem to hold his mother’s actions against her, he has been hurt badly. I will do anything I can to support him, but ultimately it’s about their wishes, action and time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment