Sunday, March 13, 2011

We made it through the first shoot day.

It was meant to be a short production day, just profiling me collecting and sorting the donations meant to go to Mongolia. But the number of donated goods organized by Dwight and Pat and provided by Dwight’s wife Leigh Van Swall and Jared Byer, was much larger then anticipated!

We got boxes filled with winter outerwear, fleece sweaters, waterproof boots and backpacks, in addition to Avia sweaters and sweatpants from Bernette Textile and additional footwear from Planet Sox. After they received the large shipment, Leigh and Dwight had asked if there is anything else I wished for. It is an usual question, as I am so trained to be practical – what is needed and what can I get! But no one ever asked what I WISH for! I told them that two of the kids will graduate in May and ideally I could provide them with some nice clothes, suitable for the occasion.


Last year, I had to persuade Baaskaa to allow me to buy him an outfit for his graduation. At first he declined, but eventually he was willing to at least consider it, for me! He didn't want to admit that he cared about his appearance; I remember acting the same, when I was 18. ☺ Once he saw that everyone else was dressed up for the occasion, he was happy to have a nice sports jacket himself. Consequently he wears it every time I come. I had to ask him to not wear it every day, but save it for special occasions! To read the full graduation story please click here.

Leigh and Dwight managed to get us four beautiful high quality sports jackets, courtesy of Joseph Abboud, which I would have never been able to afford. The kids will be so excited! When Davaa graduates in May, he’ll be happy to make his mom and sisters proud, showing off good grades and a snazzy look!

Not only are the jackets of high quality and stylish, they are also made in the USA! Most of the items I carry to Mongolia are made in China, which often irritates me, simply because of the slightly absurd out-sourcing and shipping system we have created for ourselves.

You can see some more pictures of the attempt to pack at Dwight’s FB page.

It was quite strange to be on camera and not to shoot, but thankfully I was busy enough not to become too self-conscious. I have to admit though, I kept glancing longingly at the camera in Blake’s hands. Shooting is so much my second nature, that it is hard for me to give it up, but I will have ample opportunities once we are in Mongolia and I can stop dragging around oversized luggage.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear more! And I love that you were staring longingly at the camera! I can picture it now!

    ReplyDelete